back to top

Okanagan Military Museum

OKANAGAN MILITARY UNITS

PACIFIC COAST MILITIA RANGERS

A brief history
by

M. Vincent Bezeau

Patriotic civilians formed 'home defence ' or 'home guard' units in several Okanagan Valley municipalities early in the Second World War. These did not fall within Canadian law and, lacking military co-operation, withered or ceased to exist.

After the declaration of war with Japan in December 1941, Canadian military authorities reorganized Pacific Coast defence in greater geographical and organizational depth. Beginning in February 1942, they tapped into civilian defence enthusiasm to create light, irregular units of Reserve Militia, the Pacific Coast Militia Rangers (PCMR), which knew the lay of the land and could act as scouts for the widely-dispersed army. Members were drawn from among men ineligible for active or reserve army service. Recruiting began in March 1942. Within a month there were 115 companies and over 14,000 men enlisted, and both these numbers grew as enrolment continued.


No. 100 PCMR, Kelowna Detachment

Rangers received a rifle, ammunition, and an armband as simple identification. Later, they received a basic, unique uniform of slouch hat and khaki, water-resistant jacket and trousers. Priority in organization, clothing and equipment went to units west of the Cascade Mountains, closest to the perceived threat.

The PCMR disbanded in the fall of 1945 after Japan's surrender. The current Canadian Rangers of the Canadian Forces draw on the heritage of the PCMR.

The list of PCMR Companies in the Okanagan Valley follows, with the Valley towns where they and their sub-units were once located:

No 46 Company Peachland, with detachment in Westbank
No 48 Company Oliver , with detachments in Osoyoos and Testalinda
No 51 Company Armstrong, with detachment in Hullcar. (See also No. 116 Company, Enderby.)
No 67 Company Vernon, with detachments in Coldstream, Lumby, and Oyama (now part of Lake Country)
No 71 Company Penticton, with detachment in Kaleden
No 80 Company Princeton, with detachments in Keremeos and Hedley. (The company was in the Similkameen Valley, but is included in this list because of Keremeos' relationship to The British Columbia Dragoons, the Okanagan Valley's regiment.)
No 87 Company West Summerland (now Summerland), with detachment in Trout Creek.
No 100 Company Kelowna, with detachments in Glenmore-Benvoulin (now part of Kelowna), Okanagan Mission-East Kelowna (now part of Kelowna), and Rutland-Winfield (Rutland is now part of Kelowna, and Winfield is part of Lake Country).
No 116 Company Enderby, with detachment in Hullcar. (See also No. 51 Company, Armstrong.)

 

SegunArt All rights reserved no duplication of site images or content without permission. Webmaster Walter Viita. Contact:www.okmilmuseum.ca.